Downsview Lands is currently in the planning stages for a large-scale mixed use development which will see new housing, retail, commercial and/or institutional uses. With this significant public and private investment, TCBN wants to ensure an equitable planning process and developments that prioritizes equity, diversity and inclusion.
TCBN would like the Canada Lands Company, Northcrest Developments and CreateTO to negotiate a Community Benefits Agreement for their respective development projects at Downsview. This includes hard targets and commitments to:
- Good jobs and economic opportunities in planning, design, construction, maintenance and operations
- Social Procurement to support local businesses, diverse owned businesses and social enterprises
- Neighbourhood Improvements like investments in affordable housing, community spaces, parks
- Environmental Protections of the urban park area and surrounding green spaces, leveraging the land to support food security initiatives
- Monitoring and Accountability of all commitments made in a CBA and a process to monitor, track and report on outcomes